Finding the right pants that are durable, practical but most importantly comfortable can be a challenge.
You don’t want to be worrying about whether your trousers are water, dirt, and oil resistant, you’d rather wholeheartedly know that you’re prepared for any eventuality life throws at you.
Tactical pants can be game changing when it comes to the outdoors and are an all-around must-have if you’re used to working in all types of weather conditions, as a lot of them are built to withstand all four seasons.
With an array of tactical pants on the market, it can be difficult to know which are the most durable. Look no further, we’ve got you covered.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 9 best tactical pants.
Alongside this, we’ve written a useful buyer’s guide of things to consider before purchasing your tactical pants and some frequently asked questions you might have thought of.
Check out our top pick below.
OUR TOP PICK
The 5.11 Tactical Men’s Stryke Operator Uniform Pants are specifically constructed to offer durability.
The two-way Flex-Tac mechanical stretch fabric is finished with stain and soil-resistant Teflon, emphasizing that the 5.11 Stryke pant is designed to last.
These pants come with deep cargo pockets designed with dividers to keep your possessions organized and kit easily accessible.
Perfect for everyday use! These tactical pants boast a Teflon finish that resists water, dirt, and stains for longer wear.
- These tactical pants are designed with bar tacking at major seams and stress points to ensure that these pants are durable for everyday use.
- Self-adjusting tunnel waistband.
- Double-layered knees are kneepad ready!
- A few customers found that lint would often stick to these pants.
The CQR Men’s Tactical Pants are constructed with a hint of military and law enforcement performance design.
These tactical pants are made with a high-strength high-density metal alloy button and zipper along with a durable mounted stopper.
The CQR tactical pants are designed with a hatched back pocket design for easy access even when gloves are worn.
Geared for law enforcement, military, and outdoor activities.
- These men’s tactical pants are made with a mix of polyester & cotton and are rip-resistant fabric materials.
- Multi-purpose cargo pockets for various tools and equipment.
- Durable and built to resist the elements. Fade, shrink, and wrinkle resistant!
- One customer found that the fit of these tactical pants was different from what they were expecting.
The 5.11 Tactical Men’s Taclite Pro Lightweight Performance Pants are designed for durability and developed with quality in mind.
These 5.11 tactical pants are specially designed for professionals on the go, this pair of pants has 8 pockets including strap-and-slash seat pockets to provide ample storage and easy access to all your mission-critical gear.
These pants are coated with Teflon, meaning that they have a protective finish that resists staining for everyday use.
- Designed for optimum flexibility and a comfortable fit to eliminate your worries about rips and tears.
- Made with professionals on the go in mind.
- This pair of tactical pants has 8 pockets, including strap-and-slash seat pockets to provide ample storage and easy access to all your mission-critical gear.
- A few customers noted that they had issues with the buttons of these particular tactical pants.
The Propper Men’s Lightweight Tactical Pant is made with premium quality in mind and crafted for operators and enthusiasts, suitable for every situation.
High capacity. The best-selling, 9-pocket design has compartments for all your EDC gear.
The two hook and loop back pockets with wallet give these pants a "pocket in a pocket" feature to ensure that your kit and belongings are safe.
The light fabric never weighs you down nor falters on quality, ensuring that you are as comfortable as you can be all day long.
- Extra-large belt loops designed to be compatible with a nylon duty belt.
- Breathable ripstop material. Relaxed fit for your comfort.
- Versatile! Internal openings for you to fit knee pads should you wish to have extra protection.
- One customer claimed that the color of these tactical pants looked different on the site compared to how it looked in person.
The Helikon-Tex Men UTP Urban Tactical Pants are designed to be versatile, as the perfect everyday pant.
These tactical pants are climate resistant! Whether you are going hunting, hiking, trail riding, or planning a SWAT assault, these men’s pants can withstand a variety of climates.
The Helikon tactical pants are crafted with a blend of cotton, polyester and spandex, boasting enhanced stitching for outdoor resilience.
- Comfortable! These tactical pants boast a stretchable waist with a velcro fastener.
- Ease of access. Keep clips, ammo, first aid, or tactical equipment accessible with 12 load-bearing pockets.
- Pockets allow you to add extra padding for your protection.
- One customer claimed that they found the sizing chart of these tactical pants confusing to pick the right size.
The FREE SOLDIER Men’s Outdoor Tactical Pants are built to endure the outdoors.
These tactical pants are made of DuPont Teflon fabric that effectively repels stains and liquids.
The FREE SOLDIER tactical pants are designed to last and endure regular use. Fade, shrink, and wrinkle-resistant.
- Multifunctional. These pants are suitable for all four seasons, duty work, tactical, hunting, daily life, casual, military, climbing, hiking, camping, and more!
- Breathable material that is scratch-resistant, water-resistant, and oil-resistant.
- MOLLE system and hanging loop mean that you can hang tools easily.
- A few customers stated that these pants shrank after significant use and washes.
The ARKARMY Men’s Military Tactical Pants boast a wrinkle-resistant poly/cotton twill fabric blend for enhanced durability.
These tactical pants have a camouflage design. Ripstop fabric repels liquids, dirt, and other contaminants.
The ARKARMY pants are waterproof and quick-drying, making them perfect for everyday use and suitable for any outdoor activities you desire.
- Fade, shrink, wrinkle-resistant, scratch-resistant, and wear-resistant.
- Moisture-wicking fabric can wick sweat from the body, and the quick-dry material helps to ensure that you keep dry and comfortable when army training.
- These tactical pants feature 10 pockets for your convenience.
- One customer claimed that the fit of these tactical pants was more snug than they were expecting.
The LABEYZON Men’s Outdoor Work Military Tactical Pants are made with durable, comfortable materials.
These lightweight pants boast a stretchable waist perfect for quick response, stretch, breathable, durable, scratch-resistant, wear-resistant, and comfortable material.
These tactical pants are made out of 97% cotton and 3% spandex, making them a durable option that is less likely to rip.
- These pants boast functional and stylish deep tailored pockets so you can carry all that you need to with ease.
- Durable, scratch-resistant, wear-resistant, and comfortable material.
- These pants are ideal for everyday use and activities! Great for hiking, hunting, climbing, shooting.
- A couple of customers claimed that these tactical pants had a tendency to fall down in more active situations.
The ANTARCTIC Men’s Hiking Tactical Pants are made from premium, scratch-resistant materials that are designed to ensure a more comfortable fit.
These pants are designed to resist the climate and elements of the outdoors. Made with waterproof material.
Side stretchable elastic waist, perfect for quick response, on or off duty range exercises, comfortable and functional for everyday wear.
- Made of 60% Cotton + 47% polyester rip-stop fabric that is built to last.
- Hassle-free pant. The multi-functional pockets are designed to ensure that you can carry all of your essential equipment.
- The ANTARCTICA men's tactical pants are great for outdoor activities and casual daily wear, particularly for hiking, hunting, climbing, cycling, paintball, and more.
- A few customers said the belt loops of these tactical pants could be improved.
The CARWORNIC Men’s Outdoor Tactical Pants are made with water repellent, scratch-resistant, breathable, lightweight material that’s built to withstand the climate.
The elastic waistband with widened belt loops allows you to adjust these trousers and helps to provide a more comfortable fit.
Strengthened crotch and knee for enhanced movement, improving comfort and flexibility.
- Boasts 9 multifunctional pockets! These pants hold all of your essentials without sagging or wearing you down.
- Great for outdoor activities and everyday wear.
- The 55% cotton + 43% polyester + 2% Spandex, stretch rip-stop fabric treated with tear-resistant finish protects against liquids and dirt and is comfortable to wear in all seasons.
- A couple of customers noted that these tactical pants were baggier than they were expecting.
Best Tactical Pants Buying Guide
There are a few things to consider when it comes to buying tactical pants, but it mainly revolves around the material they are made out of and their intended use.
You’ll ideally want to invest in a pair of tactical pants that are durable, so don’t be persuaded into buying some that seem like a cheap deal at the time.
If you plan to be wearing your tactical pants for everyday use, it’s important that you invest in some that are good quality, waterproof, and can withstand stains and the active lengths that you’ll be pushing them to.
Take a look at the features below before purchasing a new pair of tactical pants.
Before buying tactical pants, something important to weigh up is the material that they are made out of.
Here are a few of the typical materials that you’ll find when choosing tactical pants.
- Cotton tactical pants are durable and breathable, perfect for hotter days. However, the downside to cotton is that it can be prone to shrinking over time the more that you wash your tactical pants.
- Tactical pants with spandex or stretch blends such as elastane and neoprene are great to look for, as they have more give and don’t prohibit proper movement.
- Polyester and cotton blends won’t be as breathable as 100% cotton, but it makes up for that with durability.
It is also worth mentioning that some tactical pants are treated to help you get the most out of your purchase and to ensure that they stand the test of time.
For example, moisture-wicking fabric is good to ensure that your tactical pants are breathable and work to keep you dry when doing high-intensity activities.
Teflon is commonly used to make tactical pants water, oil, and dirt resistant. You may also see Durable Water Resistant to describe a product, so it is important to look in the product description for treated materials that are built to last.
Something to consider when purchasing tactical pants is how durable they are. If you are investing in tactical pants it is likely that you’ll by buying them to last as you will be using them regularly or even on a daily basis, and so they need to be able to withstand everyday use.
As a result, you’ll want tactical pants that are scratch-resistant, ripstop, and can stand the test of time.
Many tactical pants come with a Teflon coating, meaning they are much more resistant to water, dirt, and oil, meaning that you can get the most out of your trousers without having to worry about whether they’re going to stain.
If you’re unsure, a good indication of whether a product is durable is to check the product reviews. If a customer has an issue with a product, or a product hasn’t lasted as long as someone had hoped, it is likely that they will tell you in the reviews.
Be sure to always check the reviews of a product out before buying a new product.
Multifunctional features & pockets
Something you’ll want to be aware of in a tactical pant is whether they have multifunctional features and what kind of pockets they have.
Many tactical pants come with multifunctional pockets with dividers inside, making it easier for you to access your kit and your tools and to ensure everything is organized inside your trousers. A divider helps you achieve this by keeping things separated, so you always know where to locate your possessions.
The kind of pocket closures you typically find on tactical pants are:
- Buttons. Although a somewhat outdated pocket closure, buttons offer a vintage look without much security.
- Hook-and-loop velcro. This is a good choice of pocket closure, as it is reliable and keeps item secure, but can be noisy to open and close.
- Zippers. This eliminates the noise you get with velcro, but can be prone to breaking more easily.
Many tactical pants also offer reinforcements such as reinforced knees in place of, or in addition to, knee pad pockets. Others incorporate stronger seams in the seat and crotch of their tactical pants, to prevent you from ripping them in these places when doing activities.
Tactical pants Vs Cargo pants
Tactical pants and cargo pants are similar, but there are some subtle differences that you should consider.
Unlike the camouflage print that you will usually find with cargo pants, tactical pants usually come in one block color. Tactical pants are tailored for action, are designed to withstand multiple climates and environments with an emphasis being placed on durability.
They are built to carry the essentials for protection and survival and are often reinforced with bar-tacks, gussets, and sometimes materials such as DuPont Teflon.
Though cargo pants are loosely cut pants designed for outdoor activities, they are generally not as durable as tactical pants. They have convenient pockets, though depending on the pair of pants, usually can’t carry as much as you can with tactical pants.
Lastly, it is rare to find cargo pant that could act as a tactical pant, so do your research before buying.
The best tactical pants for you to buy will also heavily depend on their intended use, as not all pants are made equal or for the exact same reason.
If you think you’ll be using your pants for work every day or for a hobby that you do regularly, it is definitely worth you investing in tactical pants that are going to last.
If you’re buying them for a more casual reason, then your priorities may be different, but durable tactical pants are still worth investing in.
Have a think about what you intend to use your tactical pants for before clicking ‘buy’.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is tactical gear?
Tactical gear is an umbrella term that encompasses a wide variety of products created primarily for military members and law enforcement, including everything from body armor to combat boots.
It initially was a term for gear predominately in use by members of the military, but now it covers a much wider range of professions.
What are tactical pants used for?
Tactical pants are closely related to cargo trousers and are specifically designed for everyday wear in a range of professions. From military and fire professionals to SWAT team agents, tactical pants are a great option.
Tactical pants are also excellent trousers for outdoor activities such as hiking, climbing, fishing, paintballing, and many, many more. The options really are endless with these versatile pants!
Are tactical pants waterproof?
Yes, lots of tactical pants are also waterproof as they are designed to withstand outdoor conditions and are often made with a weather-resistant material. A lot of them are also designed to suit all four seasons, making them an all-around must-have if you’re an outdoorsy person.
For this reason, they are a great choice for when you go hiking, camping, or for any occasion when you will be at the mercy of the weather conditions for a prolonged period of time.
However, not all tactical pants are made equally so you should always double check the product description to ensure that the pants you are buying are waterproof.