Paintballing is a great game to have some fun and let off some steam with your friends, but as an intense activity that can put a strain on your joints and muscles, it is essential that you have the appropriate protection to minimize the risk of injuring yourself.
Knee pads are an important part of paintballing equipment and are essential to wear in order to protect your knees from harm. However, with an array of knee pads on the market, how can you know which paintball knee pads are the best? We’ve got you covered.
We’ve compiled the 7 best paintball knee pads for your convenience. Alongside this, we’ve written a buyer’s guide of things that you should know about as well as some frequently asked questions you might have thought of.
Check out our top pick below.
OUR TOP PICK
The Bodyprox Protective Knee Pads are made of high-density strengthened foam and are designed for safety with durability in mind.
These knee pads are impact resistant and shock absorbent to provide your knees the best protection possible from sudden falls that could lead to more serious injuries.
Protect and prevent knee injuries during exercise. Keep warm whilst preventing and reducing the risk of stiff muscles and joints during high-impact activities.
The ergonomic design, super lightweight and flexible fabric provides freedom of movement.
- These knee pads come in two sizes for a more accurate, comfortable fit!
- The flexible fabric means that you’re not limited in your movement.
- Great grip, non-slip feature! There’s no need to readjust your knee pads constantly, they’re tight to the knee and comfortable to wear all day long!
- A few customers noted that the padding became flat after significant use.
The Dye Precision Performance Paintball Knee Pads are high-density foam pads designed for high impact activities.
The EVA high-density foam pad wraps around your knee for a truly custom fit while providing extra cushioning for direct impacts.
The high impact open-cell foam construction is extremely impact resistant, offering an extraordinary level of protection for the knees.
The Dye knee pads come with adjustable straps, allowing you to tighten the knee pads, keeping them in place and preventing them from sliding up or down your legs during exercise.
- The Dye knee pads offer a supreme level of knee protection without sacrificing mobility or comfort.
- The adjustable straps allow you to tighten the knee pad to fit you perfectly.
- The lightweight Airprene body and integrated cup-shaped EVA foam pads are pre-shaped to conform to the natural bend of your joints, providing you with flexibility and comfort.
- A couple of customers noted that the sizing of this particular pair of knee pads was not as accurate as they had hoped.
The Viper TACTICAL Knee pads are hard X-Shell contact pads for extreme protection.
These knee pads feature a quick-release elasticated dual strapping system with hook-and-loop for your convenience.
The Viper knee pads boast soft inner padding for shock absorption. Non-slip inner center for added safety and comfort whilst wearing.
These knee pads are designed for excellent impact resistance, so you have to worry less about injury when you’re exercising.
- Perfect for military personnel, paintball, airsoft, hunting, and more!
- Maximum flexibility and ease of movement.
- Adjustable for the perfect, close fit.
- One customer claimed that these knee pads were more basic than they were hoping for.
The Raroauf Knee Pads are made with a high-density EVA foam padding with a soft, silicone gel core that provides superior cushioning.
These hard-shell knee pads are designed with tough and scratch-resistant PVC caps, never deal with loose knee pads that slip and slide
Double adjustable elastic straps and slip-triangle buckles will keep the knee pads firmly in place over the most vulnerable part of your knee joint, the easy-fix clips make putting on and taking off the knee pads quick and easy.
Integrated airflow breathable fabric helps prevent moisture build-up when heavy work means perspiration is inevitable.
- Easy to clean and maintain! Just hand wash your knee pads with warm, soapy water.
- Adjustable elastic bands can be crisscrossed to hold the knee brace in place as you move.
- These knee pads are multifunctional! Whether you’re paintballing, gardening, or even installing a new floor in your house, these knee pads are perfect to keep your knees protected.
- One customer stated that they didn’t like how these pads only had one velcro strap.
The NONMON Knee Pads are made of high-quality Lycra, 85% nylon & 15% spandex, providing you with good elasticity and movement.
The honeycomb design of these knee pads helps to reduce stress and fatigue of your joints and muscles, which is better to help prevent impact injuries.
These knee pads are designed with an anti-slip design with a wave type anti-slip gel, which effectively helps to prevent knee support from moving down.
The 9mm thick pad provides full protection for your knee, even if you slip during running.
- Easy to clean! You can wash the NONMON knee pads by hand for your convenience.
- The length of these pads is around 45cm, meaning it can cover your thigh, knee, and calf, aiming to ease pressure from your knees as well as your leg when exercising.
- An excellent choice for multiple different sports!
- A couple of customers had trouble stopping these particular knee pads from falling down.
The Exalt Paintball FreeFlex Knee Pads are made out of a dense, absorptive molded padding that is designed to protect your knees against impact.
The pass-through retention strap keeps the pad in place and resists sliding and twisting out of place mid-game.
The retention strap on these knee pads is entirely removable and rotatable, meaning that the velcro strap adjustment won't irritate or inflame the skin.
The absorptive molded padding protects the knees during sliding and kneeling whilst paintballing.
- Adjustable velcro retention strap can be rotated so the adjustment system is concealed behind the pad.
- Features a molded, contoured impact absorbing padded exterior with an integrated memory foam knee-cup.
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear all day long!
- One customer claimed that these particular pads didn’t fit as well as they had hoped.
The Miltec Tactical Knee Protection Protective Pads are designed specifically for sports such as paintball and airsoft, providing you with the appropriate protection.
The Miltec knee pads are built to keep your knees warm and dry in wet conditions.
These knee pads are contoured for a comfortable fit and fasten using two elasticated straps with Velcro closures.
The Miltec knee pads are of excellent quality and provide flexible movement.
- The hard shell with thick padding is designed for your comfort.
- Great for high-intensity sports like paintball, airsoft, and even when you’re out gardening!
- Adjustable straps for your convenience.
- A few customers noted that these particular knee pads were a bigger size than they had anticipated.
Best Paintball Knee Pads Buying Guide
There are a few factors to consider when purchasing knee pads but it mainly comes down to their material, durability, and the protection that they provide.
It is important to have the appropriate equipment for paintballing as it is intense and the majority of injuries come from falling over.
As a result, you’ll want to invest in a good quality pair of knee pads to ensure that they can withstand the action you’ll inevitably experience in paintball. Be prepared for every eventuality!
Check out the features below before purchasing your paintball knee pads.
Something important to consider when purchasing knee pads for paintballing is the type of materials and fabrics that they are made out of.
A few common materials that are used to make knee pads are listed below.
- Cotton is used as it is a durable yet cheap material to use as a base material for knee pad manufacturing.
- Elastane, also known as spandex or lycra is a stretchy material that is commonly used because it allows you to stretch your knee into the pad with ease.
- Neoprene is a water-resistant, rubber-like material that adds durability to knee pads.
- Polyester is one of the strongest synthetically produced fibers and when used in combination with other natural fibers it adds strength and durability to the fabric of paintball knee pads that need to be durable for the falls you’ll have.
- Foam is also commonly used and is a heavily recommended material for knee pads as it is impact resistant.
Paintball is generally considered to be high-impact, as you spend a significant proportion of time running around. As a result, you’ll want your knee pads to be made out of a material that is breathable to minimize the amount of sweat that you’ll get on your knee pads.
Quick-drying fabrics are also recommended. Look for mesh materials whenever possible as these will allow for optimal airflow, keeping the skin beneath cool and dry.
A big factor to consider when looking at knee pads for paintballing is how durable they are.
Paintball can be intense, so you need a pair of knee pads that can withstand long games. You should look for a combination of durable materials. It is also worth noting that knee pads with shell caps, usually made of plastic or carbon fiber, provide reliable protection and stability.
If in doubt about whether a product is durable, the product reviews are usually a good indication of whether a product is going to last or not. Be sure to do your research beforehand and check the reviews if the photos and product information doesn’t reveal enough information about the product.
Something you’ll need to consider when purchasing knee pads is whether or not they have adjustable straps. Good knee pads need to be easy to fit and secure firmly to ensure that they don’t chafe or cause you any discomfort when you wear them.
A lot of paintball knee pads come in only one size, so you’ll want to look for some that have adjustable straps in order to tighten or loosen them for the perfect, comfortable fit.
If your paintball knee pads don’t have adjustable straps, they could be an awkward fit and subsequently prohibit your movement. Be sure to check before clicking buy what type of straps the knee pads have!
Arguably one of the most important features of a pair of knee pads is their protective shells.
Typically speaking, premium knee pads will also feature an outer shell to provide an additional level of protection as you play paintball.
A tough protective shell will take the initial force of an impact, giving your knees and joints a good initial layer of protection and ensuring that the padding beneath the outer shell lasts for as long as possible.
A common problem with knee pads is that over time the softer padding can be flattened by impact after multiple uses, taking away its protection from impact. An outer protective shell helps to prolong this process, meaning that you get your money’s worth out of your purchase.
Something important to consider when choosing paintball knee pads is how flexible they are.
You’ll want a knee that contours to the natural curves of your knees, otherwise you might find that your movement is limited and can make it harder to perform well during games of paintball if your knee joints feel restricted.
You’ll also want a super lightweight knee pad that will add to your flexibility, as the fabric will provide you with freedom of movement when it comes to running and you won’t be weighed down by your kit too much.
Some paintballing knee pads are machine washable, however, you are more likely to find knee pads that you have to hand wash.
You’ll need to clean and maintain your paintball knee pads in order to keep them smelling fresh. As most sports and exercise result in you perspiring, you will need to regularly clean your paintball knee pads as you would with any sports kit that you own.
For this reason, you’ll want to choose knee pads that are easy enough to wash with warm soapy water or are alternatively machine washable. It is worth noting that you should always check whether knee pads can go in the washing machine first, as failure to do so could result in you breaking them or decreasing their durability.
Choosing a breathable fabric will also help with this, too, so always be aware of what material your knee pads are made out of and make sure that you do your research on the best ways to clean them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which are the best knee pads for paintballing?
The best knee pads for paintballing is largely subjective and is likely to change between individuals as not everyone is the same.
However, there are a few things that will make your life easier if you look for knee pads with these features. For instance, to avoid disappointment when choosing one size fits all knee pads, you should make sure that they also have adjustable straps.
This will ensure that you’re covered when it comes to the sizing, as it is incredibly hard for brands to make a universal product that fits everyone perfectly. Adjustable straps mean you can tighten and loosen the knee pads at your discretion.
You’ll also want a knee pad that requires minimal effort to stay up, as when you’re playing a game of paintball, you won’t want to be wasting time and taking breaks to adjust your knee pads if you find that they’re falling down.
Do you wear knee pads under or over pants?
How you choose to wear your knee pads is entirely up to you, and might depend on the pants in question if they’re on the tighter or looser side.
Generally speaking, people tend to wear their knee pads on the inside of their pants.
However, if you’re experiencing chafing from the knee pad sliding up or are finding that your knee pads are slipping on the inside of your pants, you could always try experimenting by wearing them over your pants and see if that works for you.
Do knee pads help with knee pain?
Knee pads are designed to help protect your knees from harm. As a result, a good knee pad can help minimize the impact on your knee, preventing patellar fracture.
However, although they will help minimize the risk of damaging your knee and will work well to protect them, they won’t necessarily help or stop you from experiencing pain if you already have a knee injury.
If you have knee pain, you should try using a knee support or brace. However, if you’re experiencing consistent knee pain your best option is to seek medical advice and go to a doctor.